How to Get Involved & Events
On this page, we are going to share creative ways people are planning on celebrating ICAW 2020. We will update this page as we hear from others how they are going to work to build awareness about the benefits of compost use and composting (while not being able to plan group activities and events as ICAW is usually celebrated).
We’ve already started to hear from some of our volunteers and supporters. If you are busy making your plans for ICAW 2020, May 3 – 9, please let us know what you are going to do this year by filling in this form and we’ll share your information. You can also send us an email: email@example.com.
Here Are Just a Few Ideas to Get You Started on Your ICAW Plans:
- Have your governor or city leader sign the Proclamation acknowledging International Compost Awareness Week
- Put together a day-by-day plan for social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram). Share educational, information on such things as composting at home, community composting, what’s going on in your town, region or state. Check the ICAW social media sites for ideas @icawuse, https://www.facebook.com/InternationalCompostAwarenessWeek/
- Partner with other environmental organizations to share some newsletter content or social media to reach a larger audience
- Create a Compost Awareness Week webpage on your website to promote local and national resources and online events.
- Encourage people to start a Victory Garden using compost. A lot of people are jumping on this idea and it’s a great way to get outside, grow your own food, and learn about making the best possible soil. As we say, Soil Loves Compost.
- Share information with your Linkedin groups or google groups
- Create your own composting workshops via YouTube, Zoom or some other online method.
- Create fun educational materials for children, Georgia Recycling Coalition Children Ideas, there are more resources here: https://www.compostfoundation.org/ICAW/ICAW-for-Teachers It’s a great opportunity to start young children learning about compost while they are at home.
- Make a short video highlighting your facility or some educational information on compost use or your home composting. Please share your video with us so we can put it on the ICAW YouTube page
- Some farmers markets are still going on. Give them flyers or stickers/ ICAW 2020 poster if you have them. Can give them a factsheet on composting. You can find lots of helpful information for your factsheet here https://www.compostfoundation.org/Composting-and-Vermicomposting-Resources
- Order the ICAW 2020 poster to send to your colleagues, government leaders, or other business or organizations (or just to cheer up a friend). https://www.compostingcouncil.org/store/ListProducts.aspx?catid=727106
Across the United States and around the world, composting advocates will be encouraging everyone to compost during ICAW, May 3 – 9, 2020. Those who believe in the “Compost Message” will be planning events in their community to promote the value of compost. All types of composting events — from “do it yourself” composting in your backyard to large-scale community-wide composting — are promoted during the week. The theme for 2020 is Soil Loves Compost. which opens up lots of opportunities for planning fun and educational activities.
Share Your Plans